Sunday 31 July 2011

Vanilla Cupcakes with Blue Butter Icing (With photos!)

.

Yesterday afternoon, the Mister decided he fancied some cupcakes. It's not something I ever make, although I've drooled over many pictures online. We looked up a recipe and went on our merry way to Tesco for ingredients.


I'll share the recipe with photos of the finished product below. Before that, I have a short, funny story to tell about our 1st attempt at these cupcakes...



Never again will I let my Better Half read out a recipe to me!! We followed the recipe to the dot. We get to the part where we add Baking Powder and he tells me I need to add one tablespoon. I add this and follow the rest of the recipe. After 5 minutes in the oven the cupcakes had TRIPLED in size!! The recipe actually called for 1tsp, which he interpreted as 1 tablespoon. Bless!




So, to make 6 large or 12 small cupcakes you'll need:

  • 120g plain flour
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 1 and a 1⁄2 tsp (teaspoon!) baking powder
  • a pinch of salt
  • 40g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 120ml whole milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 250g icing sugar, sifted
  • 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 25ml whole milk
  • a couple of drops of vanilla extract
METHOD
  • Preheat your oven to 170°c and line a cupcake tray with paper cases
  • Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a large mixing bowl and 'rub' with your fingers until it becomes a sand like consistency, like this:

  • Pour half of the milk into the mixture and stir until the milk is mixed in.
  • Combine the rest of the milk, vanilla extract and 1 egg together and add this to the mixture too. You'll need to mix for a while until you get a smooth consistency, like this:

  • Divide the mixture between the paper cases until around two-thirds full and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until light golden. When they are ready, the sponge will 'bounce back' when touched
Before baking
Ready!!
Next, leave the cupcakes to cool, while to prepare the Butter Icing!
  • Beat the icing sugar and butter together until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
  • Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. (Also add food dye at this point, if you want coloured icing like we had!)
  • Once all the milk has been mixed in, mix again!
  • Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.
  • Spoon onto your cupcakes, or use a piping bag if you have one
TIP: If you don't have an icing bag, you can make your own!! Spoon your mixture into a freezer bag, cut a hole in one corner and pipe onto your cupcakes!

Photo's of our finished cupcakes...







                  7 comments

                  Unknown said...

                  Ooo these look lovely!

                  Gemma Wright said...

                  They were delicious!! We'd eaten one and a half before I had a chance to take a photo!

                  Gx

                  SJ said...

                  those look lovely, I love the colour of the icing!!

                  Shazbo said...

                  WETTING myself laughing at the teaspoon/tablespoon fail :D
                  Men!!!

                  They look lush though. I'm making a Herman cake which I'll blog about when I've made it :)

                  Gemma Wright said...

                  He make for some good entertainment!!

                  Never heard of a Herman Cake? Look forward to the blog entry to learn about it :)

                  Gx

                  SJ said...

                  I might steal this wee recipe i want to do cupcakes soon! :)

                  Thrifty Girl Loves said...

                  Hi,
                  These look amazing! I've not done any baking in ages. Hmmm maybe I should make these ;)
                  Thanks for the add chick and I've added you too.
                  I've had no time this last couple of weeks to blog, so got some interesting (hopefully) posts to put up soon *promise*
                  Ax

                  :a: :b: :c: :d: :e: :f: :g: :h: :i: :j: :k: :l: :m: :n:

                  Post a Comment

                   

                  Followers

                  About Me

                  My Photo
                  Gemma Wright
                  I'm 22 years old and from Bonnie Scotland. I enjoy nights out, nights in, cocktails, films, cinema and general banter. I'm moving to Glasgow with my better half shortly, so expect a lot of posts about flat viewings and items we've bought to kit out the new place!
                  View my complete profile